The Basic Rules
Complete the prompts in any order you like
. The challenge deadline is final
You must use the indicated worldbuilding template for each prompt.
Each article must be new (created during July 2022)
, and created using your own original content.
The submission button will appear once your article is:
300 words or more
public (not private)
published (not draft)
Uncollapse the Community Challenge panel on the right side of the edit screen to reval the Submit button, and click to enter your submission!
The Detailed Rules
To be eligible for the prizes from our amazing sponsors, make sure you follow the detailed rules!
All content must be your own new worldbuilding. Please reference any external sources if you use them!
You must have permission
to use any art you post publically on World Anvil, and all art must be credited using the artist credit fields or in the article footer. We are very strict on this, as publishing art which is not your own can result in artists taking legal action against you!
Top tip: For images you can use
check out our resources below!
5 best character portrait resources
5 best city map image resources
5 best landscape resources
More free art resources for worldbuilding
For more information on Copyright, please read our Copyright page
- Creating and using multiple accounts will result in disqualification.
Use of multiple accounts is against the World Anvil Terms of Service
. Only one account per person may enter the challenge.
- Meta, meme, blog and other non-worldbuilding articles may not be submitted as answers to the prompts.
- Abusing the site features to increase wordcount will result in disqualification.
Questions & Feedback
If you've read through all the rules, checked the FAQ section on the right, and still
have questions or feedback, here are some ways you can reach us!
contact [at] worldanvil.com - send us an email!
- drop us a DM!
- hop into the help or Summer Camp channels and ping the @Community Team!
The Awards Ceremony
At the end of August, we'll throw an AWARDS CEREMONY! If you've won a prize, this is where you'll hear about it! The event will also feature bumper raffles and a costume competition!
Resources & Guides
Feeling stuck and need some inspiration? We've got you covered:
Make sure you've created and activated a world, then click a prompt button on this page to start an article. Once you have written at least 300, publish your article so that it's public and not a draft. Now you're ready to submit! Uncollapse the Community Challenge panel on the right to reveal the submit button, and click to submit your prompt!
- How can I see my wordcount?
Your wordcount will be visible in the metadata of each article. In the edit screen, this is available under Advanted Tools and Options. Click the blue text on the right side on the interface to reveal the dropdowns, and click on the Metadata title to expand it!
- How do I reset the date of a stub article?
If you have a stub article (i.e. an article under 50 words) created before Summer Camp, you can reset the date of it using the following method:
- View your stub articles by going to Articles & Categories, then clicking "Stub Articles"
- Open a stub article in the edit interface, and expand "Open Advanced Tools & Options" on the right side.
- Click the "SPECIAL ACTIONS" tab to reveal the Reset Date button. Clicking this will update the creation date of the article to the current date. You can then fill it in and submit as normal
- Can I enter with articles in different worlds?
Yes! Make sure you select the world you want (dropdown menu on the top left), then click one of the prompt buttons.
- Can my co-authors take part?
Yes! This challenge is per-user, not per-world.
- Can I write my articles in a different language?
Yes! If you become eligible for a prize, we'll use automatic translation to check that it falls within the guidelines and is eligible for the prize.
- Can I submit old/existing articles?
No. The goal of this challenge is to expand your worldbuilding and push your creativity! Only new articles will be eligible.
- Where can I promote and share my work?
EVERYWHERE! Check out our advice on how get more readers on your work
! Sharing work in a thread of Tweets, posting articles on subReddits, forums and Facebook groups is a great idea! And of course, hop into our Discord server
- just make sure to read the rules pinned in the challenge channel!
- Why must my articles be published and public?
If you become eligible for a digital or physical prize, we will need to check your work to see that you have not broken any rules.
- When can I make my submitted articles private?
If you wish to be eligible for a prizes and badges, your articles will need to remain public until the Summer Camp 2022 Awards Ceremony in August 27th. Private articles will result in winners losing their prizes, as we cannot verify their work falls within the rules.
- When is it safe to delete one of my submitted articles?
After the digital badges have been distributed after the competition closes, it will be safe to delete an entry you've submitted. Doing so before then may result in you receiving either the incorrect badge, or no badge at all, as the system counts the number of prompts you completed.
- How do I remove my entry?
Edit your article, and remove it from the challenge the same way that you added it! You can then enter a different article, if you wish.
- Can I keep editing my submitted articles?
You may continue editing your submitted articles until the deadline. Edits made after the deadline and before the Summer Camp Awards Ceremony may disqualify you from prizes. Make sure the articles stay over 300 words and public to stay eligible. After the Awards Ceremony you can do whatever you like with your articles!!
- Do I have to use the specific prompt templates?
Yes! But you can use them however you like! You can write only in the vignette - the main section of the template - if you don't want to answer the different fields on the template.
- Can I do Summer Camp as an artist?
Yes! Upload your artwork to your image gallery, then copy & paste its image code into your article. You'll still need to write 300 words to accompany the artwork in order to submit it. Consider describing what you've drawn/painted, how it works in your world, and how it connects to other things.
- I won a prize! How do I claim it!
Tune into the Awards Ceremony on World Anvil's Twitch channel on the 27th of August to find out if you won! We'll also be releasing the complete list of winners in a blog post, containing full instructions to claim your prize. You'll have TWO WEEKS
to get us your details, so keep your eyes open! Unclaimed prizes are forfeit and redistributed at World Anvil's discretion.